Sunday, June 19, 2011

Walking for dollars

I've been in my fair share of charity walks, and for many years ran 5k, 10k and half marathons, each of which benefited some charity or other (the point being I can't remember). On our last walk for the breast cancer fight (my wife is a survivor), Chris and I talked about all the energy being expended walking in a great circle rather than doing something actually productive.

Which brings me to today's Op-Ed piece in the New York Times by Ted Gup. I think I agree. I know it's going against the trend, but I'd love to have a development pro write a counter piece to talk about the logic from that perspective.

I've often thought that some fund raising efforts are energy intensive and money more--take for example, schools sending small children out to sell crap....I mean catalog treasures...to their neighbors. How many parent child hours go to the effort, and how much of the money goes to prizes for the kids which is really their motivation?

Development is a huge part of philanthropy. It not only raises needed funds, but invests (literally) people in our causes. I'm not a development professional and I hope if you are, you'll weigh in......Can't we get a bit more efficient?

No comments: