Monday, January 04, 2010

Some wishes and some apologies

Well, Happy 2010 to all.

Apologies for the loooooooonnnnngggggg break in posting, but stuff has been going on here, not the least of which was a bout of breast cancer for my wife, Chris. Thankfully, she's had successful surgery and her prognosis is very, very good. Thanks to all who sent (or thought) good wishes.

One of my 2010 goals is to post much much more, including on some cool stuff I'm involved with regarding nonprofit innovation, the 3rd edition of Mission-Based Management, which came out while I was gone from this spot, and the 3rd edition of Mission-Based Marketing, which is half revised as I write this.

So, you'll see more of me here from now on, and I hope you tune in regularly. I've always got lots to say, and I'm six months behind!

The interesting article from today is about one of my favorite nonprofits, Teach for America, from the New York Times. I'm not quite sure what to make of the headline, except to say it seems misleading. Need to read the entire piece of research.

Books: I just finished SuperFreakonomics and loved it as much as the original. Strongly recommend it.

Back soon....

4 comments:

Ron Kratofil said...

Why are we studying the effects of the Teach for America program on Teachers and not on the students? While the teachers are a major steakholder group, the actual beneficiaries of this program should be the students. Is it just me or are we missing the mark with this research?

Peter Brinckerhoff said...

Ron-agreed, that the kids are the ultimate mission recipient. In fact, rhere is some research on what you're looking for at http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/publications/pdfs/teach.pdf

That said, one of the goals of TFA originally was to create better citizens, so this study gets at one of their mission outcomes.

And,thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

marketing and management said...

I try to mission management concept to do a new project, I have to say this is really not easy for people to do. Find a right people to do it is not easy. Some people fear about the risk so don't want to work together. This concept can use in a big company but small project.