Thursday, April 19, 2007

A room full of bright eyes...

Yesterday I was in St. Louis doing the second half of a two part gig for the Developmental Training Institute and their work for the Bank of America Neighborhood Leadership Development Program. I got the chance to talk with 78 leaders of some of the best and most innovative nonprofits in the country. What a treat.

We spent much of the afternoon in structured discussions about 5 key questions for organizations to answer as they move their mission forward, and then in the evening had two hours of wonderful and very informal time talking about issues ranging from board engagement to reductions in force to time management. Lots of fun for me and, I hope, of value to the participants. The participants gave me much optimism about our sector.

One of many topics we discussed was nonprofit leadership succession and today's news brought more concern in this area. An article showed up from onPhilantropy about the preliminary results of a study by the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network regarding the liklihood of current mid-managers seeing themselves as becoming execs, or even being in the field in 5 years. The answer to both issues? Not likely.

I'm looking forward to the release of the full study....I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter -

I'm one of the Bank of America awardees who was in St. Louis. This morning my table agreed that your work with us was the most valuable piece of the four days. Good, practical advice and very entertaining. Thanks so much.

Peter Brinckerhoff said...

Thanks Donna. I'm touched that you feel that way, and I appreciate the post. Good luck in implementing what you learned throughout the four days!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BlogGossipCorner said...

I learnt something from this post. thanks peter.