Thursday, November 16, 2006

Philanthropy Day #1

This week, I speak at two National Philanthropy Day events. Yesterday I was in Bonita Springs, FL, between Fort Myers and Naples. Tomorrow, I'm in the central Pennsylvania town of Altoona.

I spoke to a very attentive and receptive group yesterday morning, and then went to the Philanthropy Day awards ceremony, where individuals and businesses were lauded for their philanthropic efforts. After the awards, particularly the one for a young man from Haiti, there was hardly a dry eye in the house.

Inspiring words from the ceremony:

Regarding one awardee who has given away millions over his lifetime: "He was once asked by a friend "how much we would have been worth if he hadn't given all that money away?" His answer: "I would have been worth nothing"

Quote from another awardee: "I never saw a hearse with a U-Haul behind it."

Great event. I hope it inspires others as much as it did me.

No comments: