Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Tech and Charity

A really good opinion piece in the current issue of the Chronicle of Philanthropy by Marcia Sharp entitled "A Technological Revolution for the Greater Good". In the article, Sharp discusses how tech is directly bringing together people and issues in need with people and organizations who want to help. Sharp cites.

GlobalGiving and
MeetUp

As examples of this, but there are lots of others as well. Check out DonorsChoose, for example. The key thing here is that the Net has taken out the middleman, putting donors, whether they are individuals or corporations, directly in touch with groups in need, reducing the need for the intermediary. This evolution is being played out across the web, in areas like music (think ITunes) , or travel (I haven't used a travel agent in 6, maybe 7 years), and now it is moving into philanthropy.

I think it's great. The more we can personalize our giving, the more we can see the effects, the more we can connect with the needs of the world, the more we'll care, the more we'll give, the more we'll be involved.

Sharp warns the giving establishment (Foundations and United Way) to get on board--change or become unimportant. I agree, and would only add that this also extends to individual organizations and causes. Use tech to your advantage. Be constantly aware of what's out there that can help make you more mission capable.

This is not about having the coolest cell phone or PDA. It is about using your brain to connect your mission and the people you serve with whatever resources are out there, including all the great ways to do it technologically.

Coincidentally, my June newsletter is about this very issue!

8 comments:

St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

Free Access To More Information Abouttravel to england

Anonymous said...

Here is everything you need to know to get started making money by podcasting. Click here: podcast book.

Editor Choice said...

Excellent and original blog. I will comeback.
Here an interesting site regarding: Chicago travel: Best prices at Chicago travel, best in travel industry in Chicago have great deals in travel industry on hotels, flights, Chicago tours, Concerts, Sports Tickets, Restaurants, sight seeing in Chicago and much more. Has an impressive guide on Chicago Travel Information, for your visit to Chicago, to provide useful travel information, hints and tips.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on your blog! I am book marking your site for future reference.

I have recently created a stress management

site/blog. It pretty much covers stress management
related stuff.

Stop by and check it out if you have time.

Greg said...

This blog is great! If you get a chance you may want to visit this rates
site, it's

pretty awesome, too!

Our Lady of Fatima Biloxi said...

I came across your blog about animal charities and found it to be very good. I am definitely going to add you to my favorites. I have a blog that you might be interested in at animal charities it has similar content. Feel free to check it out when you get the time.

upper-class said...

Unusual blog. I liked the site its from so much I
have to visit it again! I surf the web for blogs like
yours in my spare time.
Please consider looking at my military cash advance blog.

the Art of Living said...

Great blog! I was surfing the web to find tips on the Art of Living. If you are interested have a quick look at http://www.wellnessmaster.com so we can exchange ideas.