Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Leading by example....good for "Good"

"Good" Magazine, has announced its annual "Choose Good" campaign. Each year the mag selects 12 worthy nonprofits who get 100% of the subscription fees for a set amount of time. This year's nonprofits include Kiva, YouthAids, and ten more terrific organizations.

This is a terrific idea, and one that puts money where "Good"'s mouth is. Which is a lot more than I can say for former President Clinton's "share" of revenues from his new book, "Giving". In my view, since he makes no bones about the fact that he's gotten rich from speaking since leaving office, he should have given all of his royalties to charity...it would only be leading by example.

I suspect the book is excellent, since Clinton has done many good works during his first 8 years out of office, and I got to hear him speak on this subject at my son Adam's graduation in April, but I'm not buying it....I'm going to the library and then sending the cost of the book to a charity. I urge you to do the same.

1 comment:

HeroLike, M.D. said...

i thought your post was rather audaciaous. encouraging people not to buy his book because he doesn't donate ALL of his royalties to charity is sort of radical, especially considering you haven't even read his book. its an inspirational text full of ideas for the commoner to pursue the field of philanthrophy in their own personal way. Clinton's done a lot of great things for the world, he already leads by example. Give the man a break.