Saturday, October 29, 2005

Long time gone

Gad. It's been more than a week since I posted. Time flies when you're busy. And, with a book deadline coming up, I only have so many words in me....

Been thinking about economic models for nonprofits more. I blogged about this a bunch a couple of weeks ago, and the more I consider it, the more i think that a more heavily volunteer model--even for SOME skilled jobs, is going to be a partial solution.

Read "Managing the Nonprofit Corporation" this week, by Peter Drucker. Pretty good. Our book club will be discussing it in a couple of weeks. I like Drucker's writing style, and his early insights into the sector.

On a more fun note, I read Kurt Vonnegut's "Man Without a Country" one afternoon (it's a short set of essays) and was reminded why he was my favorite author in high school and college. Warning: If you are political conservative, don't bother. It will just make you mad.

Back to work--oh, on a very personal note, my daughter Caitlin, who regular readers knows is applying to college, was accepted into the first school she applied to: Purdue. One down, six to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drucker's "Managing the Nonprofit Organization" provides great insights into the sector, its organizations, and the people who make them run. Though published in 1990 it's still a very useful introduction for those new to the field and inspiration for those with experience. He uses interviews with wise practitioners and provides useful summaries and action implications.

I spent twelve years working at the Peter F. Drucker Foundation for Nonprofit Management. With that clear bias, I'd say that familiarity with Drucker's work in this book and his "Innovation and Entrepreneurship" are essentials to any one facing the challenges of leadership, management, or governance.